Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Member Sign Up
Community Search
Pet Overpopulation FAQ's
Share |
Quick Reference

Pet Overpopulation Fund FAQ’s

What is the Pet Overpopulation Fund?
It is a fund that was established by the 2004 State Legislature to render financial support for pet sterilization for low income families and to provide educational programs on responsible pet ownership.
Where can I find information on the Pet Overpopulation Fund? 
Rules governing the Pet Overpopulation Fund can be found in Title 35 Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry; Chapter 15. Animal industry. Sub chapter 12. Pet Overpopulation Fund. (35:15-12-1). You may also contact the Administrator; Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association, P. O. Box 14521, Oklahoma City, OK 73113
How is the Pet Overpopulation Fund funded? 
The Pet Overpopulation Fund is supported by the purchase of Animal Friendly special license plates, state income tax refund check off program, and by donations.
How can I purchase an Animal Friendly License plate so I can support this program? 
Applications for Animal Friendly license plates can be obtained from the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s special plate division or online here.
What is the cost of the Animal Friendly License plate? 
The cost for an animal friendly license plate is thirty five ($35) in addition to the regular license fee. Twenty ($20) will be contributed to the Pet Overpopulation fund.
What constitutes a low income owner?
Any Oklahoma resident that is participating in a state assistance program.
Will owners’ income be verified to qualify in the low income pet sterilization program?
Yes. Applicants will be qualified by verifying proof of a Medicaid Card , Social Security Award Letter, or an Electronic Balance Transfer (EBT) Card, which verifies eligibility in the Food Stamp, Women’s, Infants & Children(WIC), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(TANF) or Day care programs.
How can owners apply for the low income sterilization program? 
Applicants will have to obtain and complete an application form. Applications can be obtained here.
Are all veterinarians eligible to participate in the surgical program? 
No. Only veterinarians that are licensed in Oklahoma and are members of the Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association are eligible to participate.
Can organizations other than veterinarians apply for Pet Overpopulation funds? 
Yes. A participating organization may apply for a grant for funds to perform pet sterilization procedures. An advisory committee will review each grant application and recommend approval or disapproval.
How do veterinarians volunteer to participate? 
Eligible veterinarians must submit an application. Applications can be obtained by contacting the OVMA office at or (405) 478-1002.
What organization will be administering the program? 
The Pet Overpopulation Fund will be under the auspices of the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry and they have contracted with the OVMA to administer the program.
How are surgical fees determined? 
Applicant veterinarians will complete a fee schedule on their application. Fees submitted must be for the entire procedure. 
How much will veterinarians be reimbursed for the surgical fee? 
Fees will be reimbursed at 80% of the veterinarian’s submitted fee, provided those fees are not more than 20% higher than the average surgical fee as determined from all the fee schedules submitted by participating veterinarians. In addition, the participating veterinarian will collect and retain a ten-dollar ($10) co-payment from the animal’s owner.
Can the veterinarian require pre-surgical blood tests? 
Yes, but the fee must be included in the submitted fee schedule. Veterinarians cannot add additional charges to the fee that was submitted for the procedure.
If the veterinary practice requires vaccinations prior to the surgical procedure, can they charge an additional fee? 
Vaccinations are not required to qualify for low income sterilization. If the owner requests vaccines, the vaccines can be provided at an additional charge. If the owner does not want the vaccines, the veterinarian cannot charge for the vaccines if administered.
Will the owner be required to sign a surgical consent form? 
Yes. A standard surgical consent form will be included on the application for surgery and must be signed and dated by the animal’s owner or agent.
What if the owner requests a rabies vaccination? 
If a vaccination is requested, the participating veterinarian will agree to give the vaccination for five ($5) dollars. This will be an added benefit to the owner because of the public health significance of Rabies.
How does the low income family select the veterinarian for the surgical procedure?
Once the applicant has been approved, they will receive an approval form and a list of participating veterinarians in their area. It will be the applicant’s responsibility to contact the participating veterinarian, make a surgical appointment, and receive pre-surgical instructions.
How soon does the applicant have to schedule surgery? 
Sterilization surgery must be performed within fifteen (15) days of the application’s approval date.
Can the surgical procedure be delayed? 
The procedure can be delayed only if the participating veterinarian determines that a delay is necessary for medical reasons. Appropriate written documentation with an explanation must be provided to the administrator.
When will the veterinarian be paid? 
After the surgical procedures have been completed, the participating veterinarian will submit an invoice (standard form provided by the administrator) along with a copy of the owners’ application and consent form to the administrator within ten (10) working days following the end of the month that the surgery was performed.
more Calendar

17th Annual OVMF Golf Tournament - OKC

Membership Management Software Powered by®  ::  Legal/Privacy